Advanced Standing Information

Welcome to Silberman SSW! Below you will find information specific to the Advanced Standing Pathway. This information provided is designed to support you in your path to graduation. Please make sure to read thoroughly. If you have further questions about your Advanced Standing path requirements, please reach out to one of the staff listed below.


Academic Advisement

Academic Advisement at Silberman supports your course registration and degree completion process. Please meet with your designated academic advisor regarding any questions or planning around course requirements, academic concerns, or any other questions you may have. An academic advisor may refer you to a variety of resources to support your academic progress. Click here to find more info and to email or call to schedule an appointment.


Advanced Standing Course Requirement

As an Advanced Standing student, you may need to complete the required course SSW 712, Human Behavior in the Social Environment II (if you have not taken this prior to your commencing this program).  If you need to satisfy this requirement, you will receive notification from academic advisement  after your official acceptance informing you of your status. PLEASE NOTE: this course requirement will determine when a student can begin matriculation into the program. Please review the Advanced Standing program grids so that you can register appropriately.  For more information around the requirement and how it will affect your trajectory, please meet individually with your designated Academic Advisor.


Registration Options

Registration can be challenging for the Advanced Standing cohort given the trajectory of course requirements. Please meet with your academic advisor prior to your registration time to confirm correct registration and trouble shoot around any possible difficulties.  As you register for subsequent semesters, if you find you are having difficulties completing registration, please reach out to your academic advisor for assistance and next steps.

Once the registration period begins, you may find that a course you are interested in registering for may be closed. If this is your experience, you may use two options to assist you in moving to resolve the situation:


  1. Remember that certain courses or sections may fill up faster than others. If you have been unable to register for a specific course or section, it is advisable to continue checking CUNYFirst to see if an open seat becomes available. During the registration period, students drop and switch courses on a regular basis (up until the first day of classes). These changes provide an opportunity to register for a course prior to the start of the semester
  2. Another option is to request to be placed on the waitlist. In the first step of the waitlist process, you will receive an email from Marit Sadaka of the Registrar Office via your @MyHunter email   (a notice regarding waitlist procedure will be sent to all students once the preliminary registration period is completed).  This email will inform you about the waitlist process- as well as contain a link to a waitlist form for you to complete and submit. For further information regarding the waitlist, please contact  Marit Sadaka at

**Please note- all requests for seats in a class must go through the registrar (Marit Sadaka). Please do not contact professors directly requesting access to registration for their course.

Finally, if you have not been able to successfully register for required courses, please check in with your academic advisor for assistance.



Curriculum Grids

Click here to see the curriculum grid(s)



Transfer Credit Process

There are a number of different options available to you as a student if you have relevant classes you would like to transfer to Silberman. These courses can include courses taken at Hunter College while enrolled in another masters level program, or other masters level courses taken at an accredited institution (***Please note: in general, only masters level courses not used towards another degree are considered for transfer).


Instructions for Application to Transfer Credits

Transfer of credit and credit waiver fall under the purview of the Director of Enrollment Management, in accordance with the following procedure:

  1. New and Continuing students seeking to transfer credits must submit the Transfer of Credit Form to the Office of Enrollment Management. The form must be submitted before the start of the semester in which the course they seek to waive or receive credit for commences. The Transfer of Credit Request Form is available here. Students may also obtain this form directly from the Office of Enrollment Management.
  2. The student must complete the Transfer of Credit Form, and attach:
    1. Copy of official transcript(s) reflecting the courses under consideration, except for courses taken at Hunter College;
    2. Syllabi for all courses under consideration, including courses taken at Hunter College;
    3. Any additional, relevant supporting documentation.
  3. The student must indicate whether the courses under consideration are intended to count toward elective or required Silberman School of Social Work credits. If being presented in lieu of required course credits, the student must write the titles of the SSSW equivalent courses.
  4. The student submits their completed credit transfer request to the Office of Enrollment Management, which monitors the request’s processing and return.
  5. Once the Office of Enrollment Management verifies the initial validity of the student’s request, it sends all materials to the appropriate curriculum area Chair for their review and written decision.
  6. The curriculum area Chair reviews the request, and returns a signed decision – approval or denial – to the Office of Enrollment Management and the Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs; Final approval is made by the Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs.
  7. The Office of Enrollment Management informs the student of the final decision.
  8. If the student’s request has been approved:
    1. The Office of Enrollment Management sends all materials (originals) to the Registrar’s Office at Hunter College, where the student’s record is updated; the student will be given duplicates.
    2. The Office of Enrollment Management directs the student to the Director of Student Services for subsequent advisement.


Hunter College Offices and Resources

As a Silberman student, you will have access to resources and offices not only in the Silberman building on 119th Street, but also to offices located at the 68th Street campus. Please see below for important offices that will support your access to the Hunter College community.


OneCard ID

Hunter College requires you to have a OneCard to enter the college, unless there are special events. OneCard is a Hunter College photo ID card that is also used to pay for printing and copying, dining, and paying library fees. You can add money onto your card and check your account balance through the OneCard website or at any of the Account Management Centers (OneCard Kiosk) around campus. CUNY students can also borrow book at the Hunter College Libraries. Replacement cards are $10 and must be obtained at the 68th Street office below:


OneCard Office
695 Park Ave, 203 West Building
New York, NY 10065


Office of Financial Aid
695 Park Avenue, North Building Room 241
New York, NY 10065
Phone: 212-772-4820
Fax: 212-650-3666


Office of the Bursar
695 Park Avenue, Room 238 North
New York, NY 10065
Phone: (212) 772-4401
Phone: (212) 772-5017
Fax: (212) 772-4411


Health Services
Immunization Services
695 Park Avenue, 307 North Building
New York, NY, 10065
Phone: (212) 772-4800
Fax: (212) 650-3254 / (212) 396-6703


Registration and Program Requirements

Please read carefully below about requirements for registration and for completion of your degree.


Immunization Requirements

Before you register for your classes, NY State law dictates that you must show proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella and indicate receipt of meningitis information. You will not be permitted to register until you submit this proof. Here are your options to fill this out:

Please submit this proof in person to Hunter College’s Health Services Office, Room 307 (3rd floor) in the North building OR fax a completed form to the Health Services Office (212) 650-3254 or (212) 396-6703.

If you do not have proof of required immunizations or need above mentioned immunizations, please note that Immunization clinics are offered free of charge prior to the start of each semester. Contact the Health Services office via Telephone (212) 772-4800 for dates and details.

Click here to download the required immunization form


Claim your CUNY First Account (and obtain your EMPL ID)

Your EMPL ID is like your personalized identification code that you will use during your time at SSSW. Please click on the link below for information on how to obtain your EMP ID as well as to update your personal information and password on CUNYFirst:


SPARC Training:

New York State Education Law requires that all NYS colleges provide students with ongoing education and training about sexual misconduct, including domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, sexual harassment, gender-based harassment and sexual violence. CUNY has implemented an online Sexual Misconduct Training Requirement called SPARC (Sexual and Interpersonal Violence Prevention and Response Course) which Advanced Standing students must complete in the start of their Fall semester. Once you complete the program, you will receive a certificate of completion. Please Note: Failure to complete the online training in a timely manner will result in a block on subsequent registration, which could adversely affect your registration options.

Your SPARC training can be found under a link in your “To Do” list under CUNY First (some students may need to search for this), or on a link in your Blackboard page. Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions that includes a number of steps for trouble shooting:

Students are encouraged to call the IT helpdesk if they have repeated technical difficulties in completing this program: (212) 650 – 3624

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Assistant Director of Student Services (

Scan QR code to go to
Advanced Standing Information Webpage