Financial Aid & Scholarship

Financial Aid Information
Information about financial aid (scholarships, loans, and work-study) available at Hunter is provided in order to assist you in meeting the costs of enrollment at Silberman. There are two primary resources for financial assistance information for students at Silberman:

  1. Hunter College Financial Aid Office
    695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065
    Phone 212-772-4820
  2. Silberman School of Social Work
    2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035
    For more information on scholarships, please contact


Federal Loan Programs

The Hunter College Financial Aid Office is also responsible for administering federal loan programs. To learn about these programs, go to The Financial Aid Office website provides details about the following:

  • Federal Direct Loans (William D. Ford Direct Loan Program)
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal Work-Study


Financial Aid for Graduate Students
Specific information about financial aid for graduate students is available at For financial aid matters please contact the Hunter College Financial Aid Office Directly: or (212) 772-4820.


New York State Financial Aid
Students who want to apply for federal and New York State financial aid can complete applications in one online session at In addition, students who want to request a Federal Direct Loan must request the loan online at


School of Social Work Scholarships
The Enrollment and Management Office will provide you with information on financing your education. We have several different scholarships that we administer specifically for social work students. Applying to these scholarships requires:

  1. Completing your FAFSA.
  2. For general scholarship consideration, please fill out and submit a Silberman Scholarship Application, and an essay by October 15th. Follow appropriate alternate deadlines for specific scholarship consideration. If you have any problems submitting your scholarship application, please contact


  • ESCOTA Scholarship – For students interesting in working with Older Adults (Gerontology).
  • Phyllis and Joseph Caroff Foundation for Health and Mental Health: For students who demonstrate financial need and who are specializing in health and mental health.
  • Hugh Downs Endowment: For students specializing in gerontology.
  • Harold Lewis Scholarship: Annual award given to a student who made a significant contribution in the field of social work.
  • Latino Social Work Task Force (NASW): For Latino students who are NYC residents and planning to work with Latino populations after graduation. GPA of 3.5 required.
  • Elizabeth K. Radinsky Scholarship: For students specializing in child welfare/foster care.
  • Amy Watkins Scholarship: For incoming students whose major method is community organization. A committee of alums selects recipients.
  • Bernard Wohl Scholarship: For students with a demonstrated commitment to working in settlement houses. This scholarship honors the legacy of Bernard J. Wohl (1930-2006), a dedicated and courageous advocate for settlement houses and community-centered supports serving poor, homeless, mentally ill, and elderly populations.
  • Child Welfare Leadership Scholarship – For students specializing in Child Welfare.


Please contact: Silberman Scholarship Committee at regarding applying for scholarships at Silberman.


The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)—Mental Health Scholarship Program:  The Mental Health Scholarship is open to full-time employees of agency programs in contract with DOHMH’s Bureau of Mental Health or Bureau of Children, Youth and Families who meet specific requirements. Review the Announcement (criteria for the scholarship program). If you meet the criteria to be considered for this scholarship, please complete the Applicant Letter of Intent and email to the address on the form. The deadline to submit the 2021 Applicant Letter of Intent is January 6, 2023 at 5pm. The DOHMH must approve the Letter of Intent before you submit an application to the Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College. Please contact Marlene Mendelson, LCSW at for information about the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene — Mental Health Scholarship Program

Scan QR code to go to
Financial Aid & Scholarship Webpage