Credit Transfer Policies

Transfer, Waiver, and Prior Graduate Credits

For incoming students entering their first year, a maximum of 12 graduate social work credits may be transferred to the Silberman School of Social Work from another accredited graduate social work program. Transfer credits will be considered for courses only in which grades received are B or better and which were taken within the last 5 years. A maximum of nine non-matriculated credits taken at the SSW may be counted toward the 12 credit transfer limit. Official transcripts are necessary for all courses except those taken at Hunter. Courses can be transferred only in the context of the School’s requirements. No academic credit is given for life experience or previous work experience.


Instructions for Application to Transfer Credits

Transfer of credit and credit waiver fall under the purview of the Director of Enrollment Management, in accordance with the following procedure:

  1. A student seeking to transfer credit must submit a Transfer of Credit Form to the Office of Enrollment Management before the start of their first semester: By July 31st for the Fall Semester or December 15th for the Spring Semester. Students may obtain this form on the SSSW website or directly from the Office of Enrollment Management.
  2. The student must complete the Transfer of Credit Form, and attach:
    1. Copy of official transcript(s) reflecting the courses under consideration, except for courses taken at Hunter College;
    2. Syllabi for all courses under consideration, including courses taken at Hunter College;
    3. Any additional, relevant supporting documentation.
  3. The student must indicate whether the courses under consideration are intended to count toward elective or required Silberman School of Social Work credits If being presented in lieu of required course credits, the student must write the titles of the SSSW equivalent courses.
  4. The student submits their completed credit transfer request to the Office of Enrollment Management, which monitors the request’s processing and return.
  5. Once the Office of Enrollment Management verifies the initial validity of the student’s request, it sends all materials to the appropriate curriculum area Chair for their review and written decision.
  6. The curriculum area Chair reviews the request, and returns a signed decision – approval or denial – to the Office of Enrollment Management and the Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs; Final approval is made by the Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs.
  7. The Office of Enrollment Management informs the student of the final decision.
  8. If the student’s request has been approved:
    1. The Office of Enrollment Management sends all materials (originals) to the Registrar’s Office at Hunter College, where the student’s record is updated; the student will be given duplicates.
    2. The Office of Enrollment Management directs the student to the Director of Student Services for subsequent advisement.

Note: No more than six credits of graduate study in fields other than social work will be accepted. A maximum of six credits of non-social work graduate coursework may be transferred to the School if these credits were taken in related fields within the last five years.


Courses Subject to Waiver or Transfer

Courses that may be considered either for waiver or credit transfer are the first Social Welfare Policy and Services course, (SSW 701), two required courses in Human Behavior and the Social Environment (SSW 711 and 712) and the first Social Work Research course (SSW 751). Students seeking to transfer research credit may be asked to attend SSW 751 in order to develop the research project they will be required to execute in SSW 752 (Research 2). Practice method courses generally cannot be waived. Some professional curriculum areas require a waiver exam. Students who feel they have mastered the material covered by a course through prior study may choose to take a waiver examination. Passing the exam does not mean that the student is awarded credits of the waived course; instead, doing so only exempts the student from that required course.

Waiver of courses does not release a student from the necessity of completing the total number of credits required for the degree. Transfer credits, when approved by the Office of the Dean, can be used toward the degree.


Scan QR code to go to
Credit Transfer Policies Webpage