What are the admissions requirements?
The Silberman School of Social Work seeks applicants who have a minimum 3.0 grade point average and volunteer/internship/work history in a social service/helping profession setting. The applicant must complete the online application. Two letters of reference, a Statement of Purpose, official transcripts, and a non-refundable $125 application fee are also required.
Is the GRE required?
No, the GRE is not required.
What programs are offered for the MSW?
- Full-Time Program (two years of full-time study)
- Advanced Standing Program (for those who hold an accredited BSW degree)
- OYR (Work-Study) Program (for experienced applicants working in an agency setting)
- Dual-Degree Program (fall start only) (MSW/MSEd)
How long is the program?
- Full-Time Program: Two Years (four semesters)
- One Year Residency (OYR) Program: Two and one half years plus two summers (five semesters full-time/two semesters part-time)
- Advanced Standing Program: One year (two semesters plus a summer)
- Dual Degree Program: Three years and two summers (eight semesters)
Can an applicant apply to more than one pathway or method?
No. Applicants may only apply to one program and method. If the Admissions
Committee feels you are more qualified for a different pathway or method, you
will be contacted.
Does the school offer a part-time or extended program, or is there any way to complete the program on weekends or evenings?
There is no part-time or extended program, and our programs cannot be completed on weekends and evenings. There are limited courses for the OYR program on Saturdays. The OYR program is only available for students currently working at an eligible social services agency that meets our special requirements.
What are the special requirements for the OYR Program?
OYR applicants must have two years (cumulative) paid full-time experience in a recognized social service agency. In addition, their agency must sign an Agency Executive Agreement Form and provide an Agency Executive Reference Letter.
What are the requirements for field placement?
- Full-Time and Advanced Standing Programs: The field placement is completed three days per week, totaling 21 hours per week.
- OYR Program: Field placement is completed through your agency during your residence year (during the start of your second year).
- Dual Degree: The second and third year, three days per week for a total of 21 hours per week, every semester.
Can a student choose his or her own field placement?
No. Field placement is chosen by the Field Education Office. Only OYR students use their current job site as a field practice site. Students in their second year have input on selection.
Is my Field Internship paid?
Field Internships are generally not paid positions.
Is the TOEFL exam required?
The TOEFL exam is required for international applicants only.
When do classes begin?
Spring semester begins in late January.
Summer semester I begins in early June and summer semester II in early July.
Fall semester begins in late August (before Labor Day).
Can I write more than 500 words on the Statement of Purpose?
Yes. Your Statement of Purpose should answer all the questions on the application. The Statement of Purpose should highlight your writing ability, articulating your experience in the field of social work and your ability to do graduate work.